By making a booking, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and fully accept our terms and conditions as detailed below:
Attendance at Training Classes
- Our courses consist of 6 weekly classes, rather than a roll-on, roll-off programme or random attendance. We recommend you attend all the classes and complete the course to get the best results.
- Missed classes cannot be taken by joining another group run by the tutor at the appropriate time as there may not be spare places and it is disruptive to the other group to have an unfamiliar puppy/dog join part-way through the course.
- To make the most of the classes and achieve optimal results, many short daily training sessions at home are favourable to allow you and your puppy/dog to practice the techniques and lessons prior to the next class.
- There are no restrictions on the number of family members that want to accompany their puppy/dog to class. We welcome children at classes but they must always be supervised by an adult unless they are over 18 years of age.
- Parents with children younger than 9 years of age should bring an activity for their child in the event that they become bored during class. It will not be permitted for children to run around during the class or interact with the other dogs (unless permission by the tutor and owner has been given). The tutor reserves the right to ask children disruptive to the learning environment to not attend future classes.
Dog and Puppy interactions
- Puppy play is only a small aspect of the Puppy School course and when it is possible to allow puppies off lead to play with each it will only be for a small time to ensure effective learning is taking place. We cannot guarantee the right mix of puppies on every course and for this reason Puppy Play may not always be possible.
- Please do not allow your puppy or dog to approach any of the other dogs/puppies in class without asking first. It is important that all dogs have a positive experience coming to class and feel safe. Some puppies /dogs may become worried when their safety zone and so it is essential that we ask before allowing dogs to greet.
- Please do not allow your puppy/dog to play with another when on a lead. They can become very excited and this not only will hinder learning the class but it can be dangerous if they become tangled. There are many areas close to the venues where you can let your dogs/puppies play off lead together before and after class. Please ask Catherine for directions.
- The group classes are not suitable for dogs/puppies showing signs of aggression towards other people and dogs. The class environment may cause higher levels of stress and increase the likelihood of aggression. The tutor reserves the right to ask the dog and owner not to attend future classes (without refund) if the environment is to the detriment to the dog’s welfare and there is a risk to other participants. If your dog is showing signs of aggression, private training is the best way for your dog to receive help.
Health and Safety
- We make every effort to ensure safety of both clients and puppies/dogs during the classes. By making a booking, you are accepting that participating in an activity with puppies/dogs, children and adults poses a risk of injury to yourself and your puppy/dog, and you agree to indemnify Catherine Tomlinson /Puppy School for all personal injury and damage to property owned by you while attending the training classes. You also agree to make any person who accompanies you to the class aware that they are also there at their own risk.
- All instances of accident or injury must be reported to the tutor at the time they occurred.
- Owners are responsible for their dogs at all times. We ask that you please keep your dog/puppy on a lead at all times inside the venue and also in the car park unless specifically requested otherwise by the tutor.
- We provide a specific waste bin outside our venues for you to deposit your dogs pooh. Please clean up after your dogs in and around the venue and use the bins provided.
- All dogs booked onto a course should be fully vaccinated and been cleared by their vet they are healthy and able to come to class. (NB: We do not consider homeopathic nosodes an acceptable alternative to conventional vaccines for young puppies.)
- Please do not bring your dog/puppy to class if they show any signs of illness, pain and discomfort or if they have been in contact with a dog with a contagious disease. Please let your tutor know as soon as possible.
- If your female dog comes into season during the course we ask that you do not bring her as this can often be disruptive to other attendees.
- If your dog is not able to attend a class for health and safety reasons please contact Catherine as soon as possible. Owners are still welcome to attend without their dog so that they can receive the information and train at home.
Training Method and Equipment
- Catherine Tomlinson will only use kind, far and force free methods during classes and private behaviour training sessions. The use of physical force, punishment-based training techniques and intimidation are not permitted at any time.
- Harsh handling, physical force and intimidation will not be permitted at any time.
- Catherine Tomlinson and Puppy School method of training relies heavily on rewards with food treats. Although we will have some treats available at the class, it is important to bring with you a supply of tasty, smelly food treats that your puppy will work hard for and is used to eating (please see www.puppyschool.co.uk, Puppy Advice, Reward based Training for further information).
- Occasionally, we may find that a class environment does not suit a puppy/dog or owner. Full discussion over the best way to proceed will be undertaken and this may result in us making alternative arrangements to assist you.
- Please could you attend classes with your dog wearing a flat collar and/or harness and lead attached to the collar. Flexi leads are not permitted in class to avoid injury to others. Head collars are not permitted in class to avoid injury to the puppy’s/dogs neck and to avoid distraction during training.
- The following items are NOT PERMITTED in classes under any circumstances: choker chains and/or check chains of any description; electronic training collars including citronella; any other device that causes discomfort, pain or fear to the puppy/dog; prong or pinch collars; any equipment that the trainer deems unacceptable.
- Cancellations made 7 days or more before your course/appointment is due to start will receive a full refund (or a transfer to an alternative course will be made). Please contact Catherine on phone 07900576999 or email email@example.com.
- Cancellations made less than 7 days prior to the course/appointment date will receive 80% refund of the total amount paid.
- Refunds will not be given for cancellations or missed sessions once a course/appointment has started.
- Should a session need to be cancelled by the tutor they will be rescheduled for another date.